Dennis M. Hottell
Dennis Hottell is the Founder of Hottell Family Law Group who for more than 37 years has focused his practice on Matrimonial and Family Law. He represents clients throughout Northern Virginia who are challenged with the full range of domestic relations issues. He has an extensive and successful track record in the complex and often misinterpreted child custody and visitation rights of Grandparents and Third Parties.
Dennis is a keen negotiator who routinely crafts complex settlements involving high-stakes financial assets as well as multifaceted interstate/international custody issues. When settlement is not a viable option, Dennis is fully prepared and armed to aggressively represent his clients in litigation.
Dennis is distinguished as a Certified Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), a Fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (IAML), and is President of the Virginia Chapter of the AAML. His outstanding legal skills are also recognized by Martindale-Hubble who consistently awards Dennis the highest ranking as an AV-rated attorney.
Dennis is widely recognized in the Commonwealth of Virginia for his acute insights into complex family law issues and has been honored and featured as a "Super Lawyer" in Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine, a "Top Divorce Lawyer" by Northern Virginia Magazine, and has been listed among the "Best Lawyers in America."
These tremendous accolades are supported by countless clients and peers who share that Dennis is one of the most sought-after family law attorneys in Northern Virginia. This is due to his unique ability to combine an astonishing array of legal skills with the immeasurable depth of passion, empathy, and compassion for children and families. In fact, he is a member of the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC) which is an association of professionals dedicated to improving the lives of children and families through the resolution of family conflict.
Dennis is likewise known for his tireless contributions to the field of family law and is a leader in the Virginia State Bar (VSB), having been elected by his peers to serve on the VSB Council and the Board of Governors of the Family Law Section and appointed to the Disciplinary Board by the Virginia Supreme Court.
In 2014 Dennis was appointed to Chair the AAML's Domestic Violence Task Force Committee and he drafted the Resolution that the AAML adopted as their policy on domestic violence. Under his leadership the Virginia AAML Chapter voted overwhelmingly in 2014 to file an amicus brief in the Bostic Federal Appellate Court case which overturned Virginia's ban on same-sex marriages.
Dennis has particular expertise in child custody and visitation and in November 2013 he spearheaded a Report advising the Virginia General Assembly on the child custody and visitation rights of Grandparents and Third Parties. He was also appointed to Virginia's Child Support Guideline Review Panel for two terms by Governor Tim Kaine and Governor Terry McAuliffe.
Dennis currently serves on the Virginia Bar Association's (VBA) Family Law Coalition, which is comprised of distinguished members of the AAML, VSB, and Virginia Trial Lawyers Association.
He is a sought after speaker on family law issues and his legal acumen has been demonstrated by his participation in numerous Continuing Legal Education courses (CLE) and other seminars on family law and legislation topics.
Areas of Practice
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Grandparent/Third Party Rights to Custody & Visitation
- Adoption, Guardianships & Paternity
- Asset Division
- Child & Spousal Support
- Marital and Property Settlement Agreements
- Same Sex Marriage
- Interstate Divorce/International Divorce & Child Custody/Travel Issues
- Prenuptial Issues
- Post-Divorce Matters & Name Changes
- Modification and Enforcement of Orders
- Separate Maintenance
- Income Deduction/Wage Garnishment
- Domestic Violence Protective Orders
- Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, Washington
- J.D - 1976
- Gonzaga University
- B.A. - 1972
- Major: Accounting
Honors and Awards
- Fairfax Bar Association’s “Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year"
- “Best Lawyers in America”
- AV-rated Attorney (highest ranking) by Martindale-Hubble
- Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine “Super Lawyer”
- Northern Virginia Magazine “Top Divorce Lawyers”
- Virginia's Child Support Guideline Review Panel, appointed for two terms by Governor Tim Kaine and Governor Terry McAuliffe
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), Certified Fellow
- International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (IAML), Fellow
- Virginia Chapter of the AAML, President
- Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Arlington County Bar Association
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- Virginia Disciplinary Board, appointed by the Virginia Supreme Court
- Virginia Family Law Coalition