Dennis M. Hottell
DENNIS HOTTELL is a certified Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), a Fellow of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (IAML), and is President of the Virginia Chapter of the AAML. He brings more than thirty-five years of Northern Virginia matrimonial and family law experience to Hottell Malinowski Group (HMG). Mr. Hottell has been featured among Virginia Super Lawyers, Northern Virginia’s Top Divorce Lawyers and The Best Lawyers in America. He has proven himself to be especially gifted in representing parents and third parties in complex custody issues. He credits his fighting spirit and sense of justice to his father, who was a professional boxer and labor union leader. He briefly followed in his father's footsteps as a collegiate boxer at Gonzaga University, where he was undefeated. After obtaining both his undergraduate and law degrees from Gonzaga University, Mr. Hottell began his law practice in Northern Virginia.
Mr. Hottell is a leader in the Virginia State Bar (VSB), having been appointed to the Disciplinary Board by the Virginia Supreme Court and elected by his peers to serve on the VSB Council and the Board of Governors of the Family Law Section. Mr. Hottell was also appointed by Governor Tim Kaine to Virginia's Child Support Guideline Review Panel. He currently serves on the Family Law Coalition, which is comprised of distinguished members of the Virginia Bar Association. He has authored handbooks and articles and lectured at numerous Continuing Legal Education (CLE) programs throughout Virginia on various family law and legal ethics topics. He resides in Fairfax with his wife and family and their four dogs.
Areas of Practice
- Child Custody and Visitation
- Child and Spousal Support
- Equitable Distribution of Assets
- Retirement Benefits
- Prenuptial, Marital and Property Settlement Agreements
- Modification and Enforcement of Orders/Appeals
- Domestic Violence/Emergency and Protective Orders
- Grandparents and Third-Party Custody and Visitation
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, Washington
- Gonzaga University
Honors and Awards
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, President-elect (VA Chapter)
- Virginia Family Law Coalition
- "Virginia Super Lawyers"
- "Northern Virginia's Top Divorce Lawyers"
- Virginia's Child Support Guideline Review Panel, appointed by Governor Tim Kaine
- Virginia Disciplinary Board, appointed by the Virginia Supreme Court
- Fairfax Bar Association’s “Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year"
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section, Board of Governors
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML), Certified Fellow
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Arlington County Bar Association
- American Bar Association